Navigation

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Tomato and Spinach Israeli Couscous


I am really into Israeli couscous lately -  it randomly caught Joey's eye at the grocery the other day and we had it plain cooked in chicken broth and it was really good. So this time I thought I'd jazz it up a bit with a couple of fresh additions. There are so many flavor combos out there in the www for me to try. I think next I may try a lemon/bacon combo - goat cheese with tomatoes and basil - mint and citrus? I might get a little carried away - but it's SO easy to make so why not play around with it a little?







Ingredients:
1 cup israeli couscous (I got mine in bulk section of my specialty grocer)
1 1/4 c chicken broth or chicken stock
1 handful spinach (make sure to rough chop)
2/3 c sliced grape tomatoes
s&p to taste

How to do it (easy!)
Bring broth to boil on high heat in small sauce pan -  as soon as you see it boil, add couscous, bring back up to boil - should take 10 seconds or so. Add a pinch or two of kosher salt and a couple of spins of black pepper. Then cover, and turn heat down to low. Don't bother it for about 7- 8 minutes. Give it a quick stir and add your spinach and tomatoes. Cover again until the spinach wilts - about 2 minutes. You will see the couscous has absorbed all the chicken broth. Finish with a hit of olive oil, stir and serve!

Enjoy! A super easy side that is faster to make, and more delicious than most!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice!